Summer is all about enjoying that vacation feeling, getting out in the sunshine and keeping things chilled. There’s no need to let an itchy scalp stand between you and the swimming pool – we’ve got the perfect tips to protect your hair and scalp from summer stresses.
We can see it now: you’ve got the beach bag packed, sunscreen in your back pocket and you’re about to début this year’s epic bathing suit… but hold on, what’s that prickling feeling on your scalp?
If you start to notice an itchy scalp during warmer weather, you might think that the rising temperatures – and the higher chances of sweating - are to blame. However, the culprit could actually be dandruff.
Dandruff is caused by a fungus called Malassezia globosa, and it’s present on everyone’s scalp all year round. It’s responsible not only for flakes but also for itching, oil and redness.
While the summer weather doesn’t actually cause dandruff, it can make it worse for two main reasons:
- heat – as temperatures rise, the dandruff-causing microbe Malassezia Globosa is more likely to thrive, making a dandruff flare-up more likely.
- sweat– this can also provide the ideal warm, moist conditions for Malassezia Globosa to thrive, giving dandruff more room to develop.
But before you give up on that beach trip, take heart. There are plenty of ways to make sure your hair feels fresh, clean and healthy while keeping your dandruff and itchy scalp in check:
- Protect your hair from the sun. When your scalp burns, it can peel and look like dandruff. Try wearing a breathable, oversized hat, or protecting your part line, and exposed scalp areas, with a bit of sunscreen (dab lightly with your fingertips).
- Prep your hair - especially if you’re swimming, which exposes your hair to salt water and chlorine. Pre-wet your hair with tap water and use a leave-in conditioner before you get in the pool. Prevent tangling by putting your hair in a braid or bun (plus a swim cap if you’re doing laps).
- Take extra care once you get back indoors. Heat and sweat can cause dandruff-causing microbes on your scalp to thrive. Help prevent a flare-up by using a good dandruff shampoo regularly. After swimming, wash thoroughly with a deep cleansing shampoo and moisturizing conditioner that’s best for your hair type.
Dealing with dandruff in summer
Summer dandruff is a drag, but it doesn’t need to get in the way of having a fantastic summer.
Stay fresh and flake-free* this summer with an anti-dandruff shampoo that’s designed to give you a cooling sensation and infuse your hair with a refreshing scent. It’ll keep your scalp feeling chilled even as those temperatures rise.
Head & Shoulders Cooling Tea Tree + Mint shampoo gives you a cooling, tingly sensation as you wash, while our Green Apple Shampoo has a refreshing summery fragrance that you – and all your beach buddies – will love.
*visible flakes with regular use